We’ve compiled this blog in an effort to keep you up to date on the most relevant news and to help you find any critical support and information from brokers, shippers, truck stops, gas stations, and other relevant sources.
We will update this blog with the most up to date information as it becomes available to us.
Last updated 4/28/20
BNSF Logistics Update:
BNSF has suspended, through April 30, Quick Pay processing fees for all qualified carriers currently enrolled in the program.
Kingsgate Logistics is helping with COVID-19 by:
- Waiving all EFS check fees for carriers during this pandemic.
- We understand that with limitations of banks and challenges with access to funds we didn’t want this to be an added burden to our network of carriers. We leverage a lot of Owner Operators in our network and if we can help free up their capital instead of waiting for reimbursement from us, it helps keep the supply chain moving.
- Expanding Book it Now Shipments
- We are increasing the amount of shipments we’re making available through Book it Now to help carriers find reloads quicker.
- Working to eliminate any wasted time to help drive efficiency within the supply chain will help all of us as we keep up with the demands of the nation.
- Live Chat functionality expanded
- With many carriers multi-tasking, we have expanded our live-chat functionality within our website to allow carriers to communicate and ask questions without having to call in. This way we can get them to the right contact without spending wasted time on a call. Better yet, they can communicate in the language they’re comfortable with and we translate it back to our team members in the office.
J.B. Hunt announcement:
J.B. Hunt Transport Services announced that it would pay a one-time $500 bonus to drivers and personnel supporting those drivers at company and customer facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The bonuses will be paid on Friday to eligible employee drivers as well as field employees and managers.
The safety of 475,000 FedEx team members is the company’s top priority. In addition to following guidance from public health organizations, they are:
- Suspending signature requirements for most deliveries to help couriers and customers maintain a safe social distance.
- Promoting social distancing on the job, including measures at security screening, on employee shuttles, and in common areas.
- Educating team members about prevention, including hygiene and cleaning, via manager meetings, signage and digital monitors in facilities.
- Disinfecting cockpits, jumpseat areas, and aircraft lavatories to keep pilots healthy.
Truck Stops/Rest Areas
- Mariners Harbor Announcement: On Wednesday, New York City opened two new rest areas for truck drivers, one of which is located in the Global Container Terminal NY in Mariners Harbor. The other is located in Hunts Point in the Bronx. View the announcement here: https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2020/04/trucker-rest-area-in-mariners-harbor-offering-relief-for-drivers.html
- Another source for the location of the 2 rest area relief spots for truckers: https://www.truckload.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/5661_NS_Covid19_TruckStopFlyer_v4.0.pdf
- Bob’s Parking Announcement: Bob’s Parking wants all drivers to know we have FREE OVERNIGHT PARKING at our quiet, safe 400 space lot on I-44, exit 88, in Springfield Missouri. View the announcement here: https://www.facebook.com/798940023841512/posts/999784293757083/?d=n
- CTA Snapshot of Driver Rest Area/Service Facility Support During COVID-19: The Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA) and the provincial associations have been working diligently with Ottawa to keep as many facilities as possible open and clean, with accessible washrooms and food during the crisis; while also urging respect for the dedicated women and men behind the wheel. Read the full article on the CTA report here: http://cantruck.ca/cta-snapshot-of-driver-rest-area-service-facility-support-during-covid-19/
- There is also a Facebook page called Meals For Truck Drivers BC that was started to organize sponsored meals for truck drivers: https://www.facebook.com/feedatrucker/
- Announcement from Sapp Bros: https://cdllife.com/2020/truck-stop-suspends-paid-parking-at-all-17-locations-for-covid-19/
- Announcement from Loves: https://www.loves.com/en/news/covid-19-updates-at-the-loves-family-of-companies
- Love’s truck stop in Willow Springs, MO 65793 is staying open 24 hrs for drivers and has showers available. They also have a 24-hour McDonalds with an open lobby for drivers.
- Announcement from Pilot: https://pilotflyingj.com/covid-response/
- Announcement from TA: https://www.ta-petro.com/newsroom/covid-19-response
OTR Capital announcement:
OTR Capital’s main priority during the COVID-19 pandemic is ensuring the well-being and success of its clients’ businesses. In an effort to safeguard carrier cashflow OTR Capital is offering:
True Non-Recourse factoring to protect carriers from uncertain broker and customer payment terms
Fuel advances 7 days a week, 12 hours a day
Prioritized funding on essential loads
Unaffected customer service and processing hours
For more information on how OTR Capital can help you click the following link: https://otrcapital.com/trucker-tools/
CDC regularly updates their website on the impact of COVID-19 across the U.S. Read the report here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
CDC How To Wear a Cloth Face Covering: The CDC has put out a how to guide on making your own DIY face mask and how it should fit properly on your face. Read the full guide here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
ATA is partnering with Protective Insurance Company to distribute ten 55-gallon drums of hand sanitizer, produced by Hotel Tango Distillery, to various locations along major freight corridors. Drivers will be able to use these drums, at no charge, to refill their personal supply bottles. Read the full article: https://www.trucking.org/COVID19#latest
Drury Hotel Announcement:
Drury Hotels is offering rooms for $59 for truckers at its 150 hotels in 27 states for $59, which includes two daily grab-and-go meals. All but nine locations offer free truck parking. Read the full article: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/hotel-chain-offers-discount-meals-for-truck-drivers-during-covid-19
SiriusXM revealed that it will start offering free access to its full lineup of Premier Streaming content to listeners in North America through May 15. Read the full article: https://www.trucker.com/covid-19-coverage/article/21128502/siriusxm-opens-free-access-to-full-premier-content-through-may-15
Announcement in Georgia:
Officials in Georgia say that truckers are welcome to park and rest at weigh station locations as they deliver supplies during the Coronavirus pandemic. Read the full article: https://cdllife.com/2020/georgia-joins-states-allowing-truck-parking-at-weigh-stations-during-covid-19-crisis/
According to the BC Trucking Association, all drivers who have been outside Canada in the 14 days prior to entering British Columbia, regardless of their point of entry to Canada, must complete, file, and have approved a self-isolation plan before entering British Columbia, each time they enter the province. This includes land crossings at borders, and also drivers who entered Canada elsewhere in the 14 days prior to entering British Columbia.
Commercial drivers entering British Columbia in the course of their employment do not need to self-isolate, however, unless they are symptomatic.
However, they still must complete, file and have an approved plan before entering. Read the full article: http://cantruck.ca/bc-implements-requirement-for-self-isolation-plan/
Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) announcement:
Missouri authorities recently announced that they are are allowing semi truck parking at all weigh stations during the COVID-19 emergency. Read the full article here: https://cdllife.com/2020/missouri-to-allow-truck-parking-at-weigh-station-during-covid-19-emergency/
Federal Highway Administration announcement:
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) issued a notice to State Departments of Transportation that the agency is suspending enforcement measures under the Federal-aid Highway Program for States that choose to permit commercial food trucks to operate and sell food, in accordance with state laws, in designated federally funded Interstate Highway rest areas. Read the full article: https://highways.dot.gov/newsroom/federal-highway-administration-issues-notice-allowing-states-permit-use-food-trucks-rest
Bloomberg Law article:
Federal regulators’ move to temporarily drop limits on how long truckers can drive, to help restock coronavirus-barren store shelves, is running squarely up against two of the most basic human needs: food and bathrooms. Read the article: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/coronavirus/bathrooms-meals-rare-for-drivers-stocking-virus-barren-shelves
TruckNews.com has compiled a list of some relief efforts for truckers across Canada: https://www.trucknews.com/business-management/random-acts-of-kindness-toward-truckers-abundant-during-covid-19-response/1003139096/
Here you can find certain essentials such as toilet paper, tissues, cleaning supplies, etc. Check out the website to find and order what you need: http://coronafinds.com/
Rolling Strong will be sending tips on maintaining a strong immune system so you can be armed with the best chance of staying healthy! Watch Rolling Strong Wellness Coach Sergio as he describes how to protect yourself from coronavirus once you step out of your truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjygayr26s&feature=youtu.be
Tyson Foods announcement:
Tyson Foods decided yesterday to distribute approximately $60 million in bonuses to truck drivers and other frontline workers who keep its food distribution running efficiently during the coronavirus outbreak. Read the article: https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/01/tyson-foods-to-pay-60-million-in-bonuses-to-trucke.aspx
In support of the critical need to move hazardous materials during the COVID-19 public health emergency, PHMSA issued a temporary relief notice for companies shipping hand sanitizers used for sanitation purposes. The current relief applies to hand sanitizer products meeting certain specifications and shipped by highway only. Read the announcement here: https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/news/phmsa-issues-temporary-relief-companies-transporting-hand-sanitizer-highway
TruckPark Inc. announcement:
UrgentCare Travel clinics and TruckPark Inc. have partnered together so drivers now have resources for gaining access to COVID-19 telehealth and testing resources, as well as safe parking. Read the article: https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-news/the-nation/urgentcare-travel-clinics-truckpark-team-up-to-provide-otr-drivers-with-access-to-covid-19-evaluations-testing
CargoNet will be providing complimentary cargo theft response services. Read the article: https://www.cargonet.com/news-and-events/cargonet-in-the-media/covid-19/
OneRail has launched QuickStart, a new service available to retailers that need to immediately find additional final mile delivery capacity to support the e-commerce demand spike caused by COVID-19. Read the article: https://freightwaves.com/news/logistics-companies-rush-in-with-services-for-supply-chain-stakeholders-battling-covid-19
ClearMetal is offering its platform for free during the pandemic crisis to companies that are working to transport critical shipments like healthcare products and medical supplies to combat COVID-19. Read the article: https://freightwaves.com/news/logistics-companies-rush-in-with-services-for-supply-chain-stakeholders-battling-covid-19
Predictive analytics platform Uptake is offering predictive maintenance software for free to fleet operators because of the COVID-19 crisis. Read the article: https://freightwaves.com/news/logistics-companies-rush-in-with-services-for-supply-chain-stakeholders-battling-covid-19
Flexport introduced a 90-day trial of its proprietary track and trace platform that will help shippers gain visibility into shipment movement. Read the article: https://freightwaves.com/news/logistics-companies-rush-in-with-services-for-supply-chain-stakeholders-battling-covid-19
Onfleet has announced a free job board that will enable delivery drivers looking for work to connect with companies needing delivery help. Read the article: https://freightwaves.com/news/logistics-companies-rush-in-with-services-for-supply-chain-stakeholders-battling-covid-19
Driver recruiting software company Tenstreet has announced free driver onboarding services, enabling fleets to help drivers prepare quickly by shortening the time spent at orientation. Apart from quickening the pace of integration, eliminating the need to sit in class will help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The services include a solution that allows drivers to access forms, training videos, and tests on their phones, an application that reduces back-and-forth exchanges for updating driver details, and a tool to upload documents and images via smartphones.
OOIDA & Land Line announcement:
OOIDA and Land Line Media are compiling the latest updates from federal and state governments on the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. Read the full article here: https://landline.media/covid-19-the-latest-info-brought-to-you-by-ooida-land-line/
Self-Quarantine Guidance for Greater New York City Transportation and Delivery Workers: ruck drivers and other people driving into the city to deliver needed supplies should stay in their vehicles as much as possible as supplies are loaded and unloaded, avoid being within 6 feet of others as much as possible when they exit their vehicles and move to electronic receipts if possible. Read the full article here: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0326-nyc-truck-driver-guidance.html
FMCSA grants a three-month waiver from certain regulations applicable to commercial learner’s permit (CLP) holders operating commercial motor vehicles (CMVs). Effective 3/28-6/30. Read the full article here: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/emergency/three-month-waiver-response-covid-19-emergency-states-and-clp-holders-operating
The annual International Roadcheck inspection blitz has been postponed to later in the year. Read the full article here: https://www.ccjdigital.com/roadcheck-postponed-coronavirus-pandemic-continues/
McDonald’s is allowing drivers to place curbside pick up orders with a designated trucker pick up area at some locations. Read the full article here: https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-mcdonalds-ordering-system-for-truck-drivers-2020-3
Trucker Tools is adding a button to our free driver app with updates on the current COVID-19 situation. If you want to get these updated on your phone, download our app.