If you’re waiting for the usual post-holiday dip in volume and rates, you may be waiting for quite some time! FreightWaves recently reported that tender volumes currently are 23 percent higher than they were at this time last year. Rates in many markets continue to be elevated to levels not usually seen at this time of year, which is great news for drivers.
In today’s Trucker Tools Market Index Report, you’ll see where demand will be highest and lowest and where rates will be rising or falling in the next five to seven days. Today’s report predicts that Jonesboro, Ark., will continue to be a hot market for flatbed, while rates in the Wilmington, N.C., power only market are expected to rise in the coming week.
- Flatbed rates will remain high over the next week for Jonesboro, Ark., Buffalo, N.Y., and Rapid City, S.D. Flatbed rates will be on the rise this week for South Bend, Ind.
- Demand for reefer capacity will continue to be elevated over the next five to seven days for Tucson, Ariz. Rates in the Grand Junction, Colo., reefer market are expected to increase this week.
- Jacksonville, Fla., will be one of the best markets in the country for power only in the coming week. Demand/rates for power only will be going up over the next five to seven days for San Francisco, Wilmington, N.C., and Columbus, Ohio.
- Flatbed rates for Tucson, Ariz., Stockton, Calif., and Flagstaff, Ariz., are predicted to be low over the next week.
- Reefer rates for Hartford, Conn., will continue to favor shippers.
- Expect power only demand/rates to decline in the coming week for Macon, Ga., and Baltimore.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- Demand and rates for flatbed capacity in and out of Buffalo, N.Y., are approximately two times higher than they were at this time last year.
- Over the next week, the Jonesboro, Ark., flatbed market will favor carriers by a ratio of more than 2:1 (shipper loads vs. available truck capacity).
- Conveyor manufacturers Hytrol Conveyor and FMH Conveyors both increased the size of their manufacturing facilities in Jonesboro, which may be contributing to higher demand for flatbed truck capacity.
- In the coming week, the Wilmington, N.C., power only market will favor carriers by a ratio of more than 3:1 .
- Tight capacity across the country has created a surge in popularity for power only and drop trailer loads.
FreightWaves SONAR Market Insights
Trucker Tools and FreightWaves are teaming up to provide you with information on some of the hottest lanes across the country in the coming week.
Today’s FreightWaves SONAR Daily Outlook advises dry van carriers who typically run Chicago to Minneapolis to put their excess capacity on spot market loads inbound to Minneapolis. For those of you who usually run Los Angeles to Dallas, you may want to consider markets other than Dallas, as capacity has loosened there. Van rejection rates are on the rise out of Allentown, Pa., and capacity is quite tight in Kansas City, making the Allentown to Kansas City lane a solid option for drivers and carriers this week.
For more on hot and cold markets across the United States, read our previous Market Index Report, Where To Go for High Demand/Rates This Week: Macon, Cheyenne, Tucson and Buffalo.
To download Trucker Tools’ free driver app, visit https://www.truckertools.com/carriers/.