Welcome to your mid-week edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for owner operators and fleets. As we look ahead to the coming week, you can expect flatbed demand to remain relatively low in many markets. In fact, four of the five markets in today’s Five Coldest Markets list are flatbed markets. Today’s forecast also indicates that reefer demand inbound to and outbound from Dodge City, Kan., will remain extremely strong over the next five to seven days. If you run power only, you’ll want to target New Castle, Del., and Wichita, Kan., in the coming week, as both markets are expected to see strong demand/rates for power only capacity.
To discover where demand and rates will be highest and lowest over the next week, scroll down to read the rest of this Wednesday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Dodge City, Kan., are projected to be high this week. Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Ithaca, N.Y., and Texarkana, Texas, is likely to rise in the coming week.
- Reefer demand and rates for Dodge City, Kan., Tucson, Ariz., and Grand Junction, Colo., will remain high over the next week. You also can expect demand for reefer capacity to/from Tucson, Ariz., to increase in the next five to seven days.
- Power only demand and rates to/from New Castle, Del., are likely to be relatively high this week. Power only demand inbound to and outbound from Wichita, Kan., and Billings, Mont., is likely to rise this week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Edmonton, Alberta, Joplin, Mo., Yakima, Wash., and Charleston, W.Va., will be extremely low this week. Flatbed demand to/from Portland, Maine, is projected to decline in the coming week.
- Reefer demand and rates for Hartford, Conn., will continue to be extremely low this week.
- Power only demand to/from Fresno, Calif., is likely to decrease in the next week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- Here are the five markets that are likely to see the highest demand this week: 1. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 2. Dodge City, Kan. (flatbed), 3. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 4. Grand Junction, Colo. (reefer), and 5. New Castle, Del. (power only).
- In the coming week, these five markets likely will see the lowest demand: 1. Edmonton, Alberta (flatbed), 2. Joplin, Mo. (flatbed), 3. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 4. Yakima, Wash. (flatbed), and 5. Charleston, W.Va. (flatbed).
- Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Dodge City, Kan., is expected to be seven times higher this week compared with last year.
- The latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves finds that national outbound tender rejections are down and national freight volumes are up.
- The Ithaca, N.Y., flatbed market will favor carriers and owner operators by more than two to one this week, meaning there should be at least two loads available for every flatbed trailer traveling into and out of the region.
- Yesterday, it was announced that $246 billion in federal funding will be released to complete a 3,000-mile, 13-state rural freight and passenger network in the Appalachian region.
- The average price of U.S. diesel fuel hit a seven year high of $3.78/gallon last week.
Be sure to read Monday’s freight forecast Where’s the Freight? Dodge City, Texarkana, Tucson, New Castle and Philadelphia Top Markets This Week for more market insights.