Happy Wednesday and welcome to the mid-week edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for fleets and owner operators. In today’s edition, you’ll notice that once again, the Dodge City, Kan., reefer market claims the number one spot in our Top Five Hottest Markets list. The Dodge City, Kan., reefer market has scored in our Top Five for five weeks in a row, which should come as no surprise since its top industry is meat packing. If you run power only, you’ll want to prioritize Pittsburgh and New Castle, Del., in the coming week, as demand for power only capacity in both markets is projected to be relatively high. On the flatbed side, you can expect demand for flatbed capacity to rise this week for Rapid City, S.D., Texarkana, Texas, and Dodge City, Kan.
To discover where else you can expect to see high and low demand for specific types of capacity, check out the remainder of this Wednesday edition of “Where’s the Freight?” below.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates to/from Grand Junction, Colo., are projected to be relatively high over the next week. Demand for flatbed capacity inbound to and outbound from Rapid City, S.D., Texarkana, Texas, and Dodge City, Kan., is expected to increase this week.
- Reefer demand and rates for Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., are likely to remain high over the next five to seven day period. Reefer demand to/from Dodge City, Kan., and Ithaca, N.Y., is projected to rise in the coming week.
- Power only demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Pittsburgh and New Castle, Del., will be relatively high this week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from El Paso, Texas, will remain low in the coming week. Flatbed demand to/from Yakima, Wash., and Huntington, W.Va., likely will decline over the next five to seven days.
- Reefer demand to/from Hartford, Conn., Billings, Mont., and Rapid City, S.D., will be very low this week. Reefer demand for Edmonton, Alberta, is expected to decrease in the next week.
- Power only demand and rates for Brooklyn, N.Y., once again are projected to be extremely low this week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- This week, the five highest demand markets likely will be: 1. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 2. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 3. Pittsburgh (power only), 4. New Castle, Del. (power only), and 5. Grand Junction, Colo. (flatbed).
- The five lowest demand markets likely will be: 1. Brooklyn, N.Y. (power only), 2. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 3. Billings, Mont. (reefer), 4. Rapid City, S.D. (reefer), and 5. El Paso, Texas (flatbed).
- Demand for power only capacity for New Castle, Del., this week will be twice as high as it was during the same week in 2021.
- The Texarkana, Texas, where demand for flatbed is projected to increase this week, likely will favor fleets and owner ops by two to one, meaning for each flatbed traveling into or out of the area, there will be two loads available.
- According to data released on Monday, the national average price of diesel fuel has hit $4.00/gallon for the first time in nearly eight years. Diesel now costs $1.143 more than it did at this time in 2021.
- Holiday retail sales for 2021 reached a record-high $886.7 billion.
Don’t miss the previous edition of our free market report, Where’s the Freight? Dodge City, Rapid City, Texarkana, Tucson and Southwestern Ontario High Demand Markets This Week.