Welcome to the Monday edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free market report for owner operators and carriers. With the Christmas holiday fast approaching, demand for reefer capacity remains high in many freight markets, including Dodge City, Kan., where demand for reefer capacity this week is projected to be twice as high as last year. In flatbed news, Montreal, Quebec, is projected to be the highest demand flatbed market in North America this week, while flatbed demand is expected to be extremely low this week for Edmonton, Alberta. If you run power only, you’ll want to make San Diego a priority this week, as it’s likely to be the highest demand/rate power only market in the coming week.
Read on to discover where else demand and rates will be highest and lowest over the next five to seven days in this Monday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand likely will be high this week for Montreal, Quebec. Flatbed demand and rates to/from Rapid City, S.D., Texarkana, Texas, Cheyenne, Wyo., and Jonesboro, Ark., are projected to rise over the next five to seven days.
- Reefer demand is expected to be high in the coming week for Flagstaff, Ariz., Tucson, Ariz., and Dodge City, Kan. Reefer demand (and rates) are expected to increase this week for Tucson, Ariz.
- Power only demand to/from San Diego is expected to be high this week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand will be low this week for Edmonton, Alberta, Calgary, Alberta, and Richmond, Va.
- Reefer demand to/from Hartford, Conn., will continue to be extremely low. Demand for reefer capacity to/from Edmonton, Alberta, is expected to decrease this week.
- Power only demand is likely to be extremely low for Rochester, N.Y., in the coming week. Power only demand and rates are projected to decline this week for Roanoke, Va., Portland, Ore., and Wilmington, N.C.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- This week, the five most profitable markets for truckers and carriers will be: 1. Flagstaff, Ariz. (reefer), 2. San Diego (power only), 3. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 4. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), and 5. Montreal, Quebec (flatbed).
- The five least profitable markets for truckers and carriers will be: 1. Rochester, N.Y. (power only), 2. Edmonton, Alberta (flatbed), 3. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 4. Calgary, Alberta (flatbed), and 5. Richmond, Va. (flatbed).
- The latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves indicates that national outbound tender rejections are up and volumes are down.
- Montreal, Quebec, whose flatbed market is projected to see high demand this week, is home to the Port of Montreal, the largest inland port in the world handling 26 million tons of cargo each year.
- According to a recent report from American Shipper, between 8,000 and 12,000 containers filled with critical medical supplies are being delayed at U.S. ports due to port congestion and lack of warehouse space.
- This week, the San Diego power only market will favor owner operators and carriers by a ratio of nearly three to one, meaning for each truck and trailer headed into or out of the area, there will be three loads to choose from.
- California-based electric vehicle manufacturer Rivian Automotive announced last week that it will be constructing a $5 billion battery and assembly plant east of Atlanta. Production is expected to begin in 2024.
Be sure to check out our previous freight forecast, Where’s the Freight? Tucson, Edmonton, Flagstaff, Montreal and Dodge City Hottest Markets This Week, for more market insights.