Happy Friday and welcome to your end-of-week edition of Trucker Tools’ Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for owner operators and carriers.
With the Christmas holiday just three weeks away, national freight volumes are up significantly and spot market rates continue to soar above last year’s levels. Over the next five to seven day period, you can expect flatbed demand to remain elevated around one major Southeastern U.S. inland port, while Brooklyn and Rochester, N.Y., will see extremely low flatbed demand. If you run reefer, you’ll want to prioritize loads to Dodge City, Kan., this week, as demand for reefer capacity is projected to be high in the area. Also of note is that power only demand is projected to increase this week for Mobile, Ala., Jefferson City, Mo., and Fort Worth, Texas.
Scroll down to discover where else demand and rates will be highest and lowest in the coming week in this Friday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Demand/rates for flatbed capacity to/from Shreveport, La., and Gary, Ind., will be high in the coming week. Flatbed demand is expected to increase this week for Rapid City, S.D.
- Dodge City, Kan., Tucson, Ariz., and Decatur, Ala., will be the most profitable reefer markets in North America over the next five to seven days. Reefer demand is expected to rise this week for Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Power only demand is projected to increase this week for Mobile, Ala., Jefferson City, Mo., and Fort Worth, Texas.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- In the coming week, flatbed demand to/from Brooklyn, N.Y., and Rochester, N.Y., will be extremely low. Flatbed demand is projected to decline this week for Southwestern Ontario.
- You can expect extremely low demand/rates for reefer capacity to/from Hartford, Conn., and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, over the next five to seven days.
- Brooklyn, N.Y., also is projected to be the lowest demand/rate power only market in North America this week. Look for power only demand to decline this week for Fresno, Calif.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- The latest data from Trucker Tools’ platforms indicates that these will be the five best markets for truckers and carriers this week: 1. Shreveport, La. (flatbed), 2. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 3. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 4. Decatur, Ala. (reefer), and 5. Gary, Ind. (flatbed).
- The five worst markets for truckers and carriers will be: 1. Brooklyn, N.Y. (power only), 2. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 3. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (reefer), 4. Brooklyn, N.Y. (flatbed), and 5. Rochester, N.Y. (flatbed).
- Demand for reefer capacity to/from Dodge City, Kan., is projected to be 10 times higher this week than it was during the same week last year.
- Today’s Daily Market Update from FreightWaves finds that national outbound tender rejections are down, while national outbound volumes are up significantly.
- The latest U.S.D.A. Specialty Crops National Truck Rate Report indicates that there are capacity shortages in the following areas: San Luis Valley Colorado, Idaho and Malheur County Oregon, Upper Valley and Twin Falls-Burley District Idaho, Minnesota-North Dakota (Red River Valley), Eastern North Carolina, Mexico Crossings through South Texas, Columbia Basin Washington state, Yakima Valley and Wenatchee District Washington state, and Central Wisconsin.
- A new study from the American Transportation Research Institute finds that more than half of owner operators reported net incomes of more than $75,000 in 2020, while approximately 70 percent of company drivers earn between $50,000 and $100,000 annually.
Read the previous edition of Trucker Tools’ free market report, Where’s the Freight? High Demand for Capacity to/from Shreveport, Dodge City, Rapid City, Decatur and San Antonio This Week.