Welcome to your Monday edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for fleets and owner operators. Looking ahead to the coming week, demand for power only capacity is expected to be high in two key Midwest markets, while reefer demand is projected to remain very high in one Arizona market. If you’re running flatbed, you’ll want to move Southwestern Ontario, Billings, Mont., and Dodge City, Kan., to the top of your list, as flatbed demand is projected to be high or increasing this week in these regions. This week, you can expect extremely low demand and rates for the Charleston, W.Va., and Brooklyn, N.Y., flatbed markets. Brooklyn, N.Y., also is projected to see low demand for power only capacity in the coming week.
For more insights into where demand and rates will be high and low over the next week, scroll down to read the rest of this Monday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates for Southwestern Ontario will continue to be high this week. Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Billings, Mont., and Dodge City, Kan., likely will increase over the next week.
- Reefer demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Tucson, Ariz., and Edmonton, Alberta, will be extremely high in the next five to seven day period. You also can expect reefer demand to increase this week for Regina, Saskatchewan.
- Power only demand and rates to/from Wichita, Kan., and Billings, Mont., are projected to be high this coming week. You can expect power only demand to/from San Antonio and Seattle to increase over the next five to seven days.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Charleston, W.Va., and Brooklyn, N.Y., are expected to be extremely low this week. Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Vancouver, British Columbia, and Flagstaff, Ariz., is projected to decline in the coming week.
- Reefer demand and rates to/from Hartford, Conn., and Vancouver, British Columbia, are expected to be very low this week.
- Power only demand and rates to/from Brooklyn, N.Y., likely will be extremely low in the next week. You also can expect power only demand to and from Fort Worth, Texas, to fall this week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- These are likely to be the five highest demand/rate markets in the coming week: 1. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 2. Wichita, Kan., (power only), 3. Billings, Mont. (power only), 4. Edmonton, Alberta (reefer), and 5. Southwestern Ontario (flatbed).
- Over the next week, the five lowest demand/rate markets likely will be: 1. Charleston, W.Va. (flatbed), 2. Brooklyn, N.Y. (flatbed), 3. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 4. Vancouver, British Columbia (reefer), and 5. Brooklyn, N.Y. (flatbed).
- This week, demand for reefer capacity inbound to and outbound from Tucson, Ariz., is projected to be twice as high as it was last year.
- According to a report from FreightWaves, demand for reefer truckload capacity peaked after Jan. 1 and continues to be elevated, with rates at much higher levels than in January of 2021.
- Demand for power only capacity to/from Billings, Mont., this week will be seven times higher than it was during this week last year.
- The U.S. DOT recently allocated $26.5 billion to bridge repairs around the country.
- In a survey released last week, 99 percent of retailers surveyed said they plan to offer same-delivery by 2025, which would further increase demand for last mile delivery.
Read the previous edition of our free market report, Where’s the Freight? Tucson, Wichita, Huntington, Texarkana and Dodge City Expected To Be Highest Demand Markets This Week.