Welcome to the Monday edition of Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for fleets and drivers. Looking ahead to the coming week, you can expect flatbed demand inbound to and outbound from Yakima, Wash., to remain extremely high. In fact, the Yakima, Wash., flatbed market once again claims the top spot in our Top Five Hottest Markets list, scoring three and half times higher on the Trucker Tools market index than the number two spot. This week, you also can expect to see extremely low demand and rates for dry van capacity to/from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, while Brooklyn, N.Y., is projected to be the top power only market over the next five to seven days. If you run reefer, you’ll want to prioritize reefer loads to/from Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., this week, as reefer demand is projected to rise in both markets.
Read on to discover which markets will be hottest and coldest in the coming week in this Monday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates to/from Yakima, Wash., and Southwestern Ontario, are likely to remain high in the coming week. Demand for flatbed capacity inbound to and outbound from Rapid City, S.D., and Texarkana, Texas, is likely to increase over the next five to seven days.
- Reefer demand and rates for Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., will remain high over the coming week. Reefer demand for both markets also is projected to increase in the next week.
- Power only demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Brooklyn, N.Y., will be relatively high in the coming week. You can expect power only demand for New Castle, Del., to rise this week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from El Paso, Texas, Brooklyn, N.Y., and Joplin, Mo., will be very low this week. Flatbed demand to/from Cheyenne, Wyo., once again is projected to decline over the next five to seven day period.
- Reefer demand to/from Hartford, Conn., will continue to be extremely low in the coming week.
- Dry van demand and rates for Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, are likely to be very low this week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- The five most profitable markets for carriers and owner operators this week likely will be: 1. Yakima, Wash. (flatbed), 2. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 3. Southwestern Ontario (flatbed), 4. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), and 5. Brooklyn, N.Y. (power only).
- The five least profitable markets for carriers and owner operators likely will be: 1. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 2. El Paso, Texas (flatbed), 3. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (dry van), 4. Brooklyn, N.Y. (flatbed), and 5. Joplin, Mo. (flatbed).
- The latest Specialty Crops National Truck Rate Report from the U.S.D.A. indicates that there are capacity shortages in the Minnesota-North Dakota Red River Valley and in Eastern North Carolina.
- The inbound Texarkana, Texas, flatbed market, where demand is projected to increase this week, will favor owner operators and carriers by nearly two to one.
- Last month, spot market rates for reefer and dry van freight increased for the eighth straight month.
- According to data from the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau, rates for TL, LTL and specialized transportation have increased by 25 percent between January 2020 and January 2022.
- This year, the Pilot Company will be opening 14 new travel centers and 20 dealer sites throughout the United States.
For even more market insights, read Where’s the Freight? Yakima, Dodge City, Southwestern Ontario, Tucson and Huntington Most Profitable Markets in Coming Week.