Welcome to the mid-week edition of Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free market report for owner operators and fleets — and your source for discovering where demand and rates will be high and low in the coming week. This week, you can expect demand for flatbed capacity to increase in markets in Washington and Colorado, while El Paso, Texas, will continue to see low demand and rates for flatbed. For those of you running power only, you’ll want to keep an eye on the New Castle, Del., market this week, as power only demand and rates are expected to rise there over the next week. If you haul reefer, you may want to prioritize loads to/from Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., markets this week, since demand and rates for both markets are projected to increase over the next five to seven day period.
To learn more about what you can expect from freight markets across the United States and Canada this week, scroll down to read the rest of this Wednesday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates to/from Southwestern Ontario, will continue to be relatively high this week. Demand for flatbed capacity inbound to and outbound from Yakima, Wash., and Grand Junction, Colo., is likely to increase in the next five to seven days.
- Reefer demand and rates for Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., will remain high in the coming week. Reefer demand in both markets is expected to rise this week, as well.
- Power only demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, will be relatively high over the coming week. You can expect power only demand to/from New Castle, Del., to increase this week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from El Paso, Texas, and Sioux Falls, S.D., will be very low over the next five to seven day period.
- Reefer demand to/from Hartford, Conn., and Eastern Ontario will be extremely low in the coming week. Demand for reefer capacity in Vancouver, British Columbia, is likely to decline over the next week.
- Power only demand and rates for Philadelphia are projected to be very low this week. Demand for power only capacity in Washington D.C. and Savannah, Ga., is expected to fall in the next five to seven days.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- In the coming week, the five best markets for owner operators and carriers likely will be: 1. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 2. Southwestern Ontario (flatbed), 3. Brooklyn, N.Y. (power only), 4. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), and 5. Cedar Rapids, Iowa (power only).
- The five worst markets for owner operators and carriers likely will be: 1. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 2. Eastern Ontario (reefer), 3. El Paso, Texas (flatbed), 4. Sioux Falls, S.D. (flatbed), and 5. Philadelphia (power only).
- This week, demand for reefer capacity to/from Dodge City, Kan., will be three times higher than it was during the same week in 2021.
- The latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves indicates that both national outbound tender rejections and volumes are down slightly.
- According to data released last yesterday, the national average price of diesel fuel rose 3.6 cents last week to a nearly nine-year high of $4.055/gallon.
- Washington state legislators are considering a bill that would require Washington terminal, port and retail operators to provide restroom access to truckers.
Be sure to read the Monday edition of our free freight forecast, Where’s the Freight? Yakima, Dodge City, Southwestern Ontario, Tucson and Brooklyn Top Markets This Week.