Welcome to the mid-week edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for fleets and owner operators. As we inch closer to Christmas and the end of peak shipping season, freight volumes in many markets have started to decline, though spot market rates remain higher than they were at this time last year. In the coming week, you can expect demand for reefer capacity to remain high in two Arizona markets, while Billings, Mont., is projected to see extremely low reefer demand. Flatbed and reefer demand is projected to rise slightly this week inbound to and outbound from Texarkana, Texas. You also can expect to see dry van demand increase this week for Ithaca, N.Y., and for Roanoke, Va., to be a hot spot for power only loads.
For more insights into freight markets across the United States and Canada, scroll down to read the rest of this Wednesday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates to/from Texarkana, Texas, are projected to increase this week.
- Reefer demand is projected to be high in the coming week for Flagstaff, Ariz., Dodge City, Kan., Edmonton, Alberta, and Tucson, Ariz. Reefer demand and rates are expected to increase this week for Texarkana, Texas, Tucson, Ariz., and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Power only demand to/from Roanoke, Va., is projected to be high this week.
- Dry van demand and rates are likely to increase this week for Ithaca, N.Y.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand likely will be low this week for Calgary, Alberta, and Edmonton, Alberta. You also can expect demand for flatbed capacity to decline this week for Dodge City, Kan.
- Reefer demand and rates to/from Billings, Mont., and Hartford, Conn., will be extremely low over the next five to seven day period.
- Power only demand and rates are projected to decline this week for Buffalo, N.Y., and Portland, Ore.
- Dry van demand and rates will be extremely low this week to/from Calgary, Alberta. Demand for dry van is projected to decline in the coming week for Rapid City, S.D.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- In the coming week, the five best (highest demand, highest rate) markets for truckers and carriers will be: 1. Flagstaff, Ariz. (reefer), 2. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 3. Edmonton, Alberta (reefer), 4. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), and 5. Roanoke, Va. (power only).
- The five worst (lowest demand, lowest rate) markets for truckers and carriers will be: 1. Billings, Mont. (reefer), 2. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 3. Calgary, Alberta (flatbed), 4. Calgary, Alberta (dry van), and 5. Edmonton, Alberta (flatbed).
- This week the Flagstaff, Ariz., reefer market will favor owner ops and carriers by nearly two to one, meaning that for if you’re headed into or out of the region, there likely will be two loads available.
- Reefer demand this week inbound to and outbound from Flagstaff, Ariz., also is projected to be two times higher than last year.
- Both the Texarkana, Texas, flatbed and reefer markets, where demand is projected to increase this week, will favor truckers and carriers by a ratio of more than two to one. That translates into at least two loads being available for each flatbed or reefer headed into or out of the region.
- According to the American Trucking Associations, truck tonnage in November posted the highest year over year increase since last May.
- 525 truckloads of wreaths were delivered by 390 different carriers last weekend as part of Wreaths Across America Day.
For more insights into hot and cold markets, check out Where’s the Freight? Flagstaff, San Diego, Tucson, Dodge City and Montreal Top Markets for Owner Ops and Carriers This Week