Welcome to your Monday edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for carriers and owner ops — and your source for finding out where rates will be high and low in the coming week. With the Christmas holiday less than two weeks away, spot market demand and rates in many markets across North America are expected to remain elevated this week. The Tucson, Ariz., reefer market claims the top spot in today’s Top Five Hottest Markets list, as it’s projected to be the highest demand and highest rate freight market in the United States and Canada over the next five to seven days. If you run flatbed, you’ll want to target Texarkana, Texas, this week, as this market is projected to heavily favor truckers and carriers. On the dry van side, you can expect demand and rates to increase this week for Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Read on to discover where else demand and rates are likely to be high and low in the coming week in this Monday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand is expected to be high this week for Cheyenne, Wyo., and Texarkana, Texas. Flatbed demand and rates to/from Gary, Ind., are likely to increase in the coming week.
- Reefer demand will be high this week for Tucson, Ariz., Dodge City, Kan., and Edmonton, Alberta. You can expect reefer demand and rates to/from Dodge City, Kan., to increase further over the next five to seven days.
- Power only demand is projected to increase this week for Fort Wayne, Ind., and Philadelphia.
- Dry van demand is expected to rise this week for Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand is likely to decline this week for Rapid City, S.D.
- Reefer demand to/from Hartford, Conn., will continue to be extremely low in the coming week.
- Power only demand is expected to be low this week for Portland, Ore., and Syracuse, N.Y. Look for power only demand to decrease this week for Norfolk, Va., and Jackson, Miss.
- Dry van demand is projected to be extremely low for Calgary, Alberta, and Regina, Saskatchewan, in the coming week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- According to Trucker Tools’ data, these will be the five highest demand markets in the coming week: 1. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 2. Cheyenne, Wyo. (flatbed), 3. Texarkana, Texas (flatbed), 4. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), and 5. Edmonton, Alberta (reefer).
- The five lowest demand markets likely will be: 1. Portland, Ore. (power only), 2. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 3. Syracuse, N.Y. (power only), 4. Calgary, Alberta (dry van), and 5. Regina, Saskatchewan (dry van).
- The Texarkana, Texas, flatbed market will favor truckers and fleets by a ratio of more than two to one in the coming week, meaning that for each flatbed trailer traveling into and out of the area, there likely will be two loads available.
- The latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves indicates that national outbound tender rejections are up slightly, while volumes are down slightly.
- In October, Port Houston’s exports showed an increase of 50 percent year-over-year. The port’s imports grew by 53 percent.
- The inbound Gary, Ind., flatbed market is projected to favor truckers and carriers by three to one in the coming week, meaning for each flatbed trailer traveling into the area, there likely will be three loads to choose from.
- Love’s Travel Stops has added 280 truck parking spaces to its network with the opening of new stores in Great Falls, Mont., Drayton, N.D., Pacific Junction, Iowa, and Dalhart, Texas.
Don’t forget to check out the previous edition of our free market report, Where’s the Freight? Texarkana, Dodge City, Tucson, Edmonton and Cheyenne Hottest Markets for Trucker and Carriers in the Coming Week, for more market insights.