If you’re looking for information on where to go for the highest rates, you’ve found it!
Trucker Tools’ Market Index Report uses information from our driver app, broker software platforms and other sources to predict where rates and demand will be highest and lowest in the coming week. Unlike many rate/demand prediction tools, our Market Index Report is free for drivers and carriers and is specifically designed to help you maximize your profits. Trucker Tools’ Market Index Report doesn’t tell you what’s happening in markets today. Instead, our Market Index Reports tell you what is likely to happen in the future.
An end of week snowstorm in the Midwest is expected to drop up to 12 inches of snow across the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest. Parts of Wyoming, Colorado, eastern Montana, Nebraska and Kansas may experience winds between 50 and 75 mph. If you’re traveling in these regions in the next two to three days, please stay safe out there!
Where Demand, Rates Will Be Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates are expected to rise over the next five to seven days for Lexington, Ky.; Cheyenne, Wyo.; Southwest, Ontario (Canada); Allentown, Pa.; and Syracuse, N.Y.
- Demand for reefer capacity will be increasing in the next week for Tucson, Ariz., and St. Louis, Mo.
- Cheyenne, Wyo., will be a hot market for van capacity over the next week.
- Expect demand and rates for power only to surge in the coming week for Chicago.
Where Demand, Rates Will Be Falling
- Expect flatbed rates to decrease in the next week for Calgary, Alberta (Canada); Corpus Christi, Texas; and Minot, S.D.
- Reefer demand will decline in the next five to seven daysfor Hartford, Conn.; Reno, Nev.; and Charleston, W. Va.
- The San Francisco power only market will continue to cool off in the coming week.
- Look for rates and demand for van capacity for Ottawa, Ontario (Canada), to drop in the next week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- Chesterfield, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis, is one of the three locations where Pfizer is manufacturing its COVID-19 vaccine, which may explain the rise in demand for reefer capacity in the region.
- There are at least 30 other biopharmaceutical companies with research and/or manufacturing plants in the greater St. Louis area, which may be influencing reefer demand, as well.
- Current demand for van capacity in Cheyenne, Wyo., is approximately double what it was at this time last year.
- Demand/rates for reefer capacity in the Reno, Nev., market is down by approximately 50 percent compared to last year.
- The large number of metal, steel and plastics manufacturers headquartered in Lexington, Ky., as well as Lockheed Martin’s manufacturing facility in the city are likely responsible for the increased demand for flatbed capacity.
FreightWaves SONAR Insights
Trucker Tools is partnering with FreightWaves to give you additional information on hot and cold markets. FreightWaves’ Daily Market Update reported earlier today that capacity is tightening in Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Kansas City and Indianapolis. Outbound tender volumes are up for Atlanta, Los Angeles, Lakeland, Fla., and Ontario, Ca. FreightWaves SONAR’s Daily Outlook also reveals that the Midwest is currently the strongest region for dry van drivers and carriers.
SONAR Hot Lanes for Truckers
An increase in the volume of freight moving out of Denver is tightening capacity for Denver to Chicago. If you have dry van capacity inbound to Denver, FreightWaves SONAR recommends that you target the spot market for loads to get you back to Chicago. After a volatile month of ups and downs, rejection rates for El Paso to Dallas have stabilized. There may not be much available on the spot market out of Dallas in the coming week, so you will want to target a decent margin on loads you accept into Dallas. Dallas to Tulsa will bring you into one of the tightest freight markets in the nation, which is why it’s highly recommended that you accepted tendered loads in this lane.
Trucker Tools’ Market Index Report is published each and every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. To find out about other lanes that will be hot and cold in the coming week, read Expect High Rates/Demand in Ithaca, Gary, Albuquerque and Norfolk This Week. To download Trucker Tools’ free driver app, visit https://www.truckertools.com/web/carriers/.