Happy Wednesday, everyone, and welcome to your mid-week edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for owner operators and trucking companies. With the Christmas holiday just two and a half weeks away, reefer demand and rates are expected to remain strong in the coming week for a major meat-processing market in the Midwest and a key produce distribution point in the Southwestern United States. If you run flatbed, you’ll want to keep an eye out for loads to/from Shreveport, La., this week, as flatbed demand is expected to increase significantly. On the power only side, demand and rates are projected to rise this week this week for one Texas city and one major East Coast port city.
For more insights into where demand and rates will be highest and lowest in the coming week, check out this Wednesday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?” below.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Gary, Ind., and Cheyenne, Wyo., are projected to be the highest demand flatbed markets in North America this week. You can expect flatbed demand to/from Shreveport, La., and St. Louis to increase this week.
- Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., will remain hot markets for reefer in the coming week. Look for reefer demand to increase this week for Decatur, Ala.
- Fort Wayne, Ind., once again is projected to see high demand/rates for power only capacity over the next five to seven day period. Power only demand likely will rise this week for San Antonio and Baltimore.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Rochester, N.Y., and Richmond, Va., are projected to be the lowest demand/rate flatbed markets in North America this week. Flatbed demand to/from Dodge City, Kan., is expected to decline this week.
- Hartford, Conn., will be the least profitable reefer market in North America over the next five to seven days.
- Brooklyn, N.Y., will see extremely low demand/rates for power only capacity in the coming week.
- Calgary, Alberta, will be the least profitable dry van market in North America this week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- According to data from Trucker Tools’ platforms, the five best markets for truckers and carriers this week will be: 1. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 2. Gary, Ind. (flatbed), 3. Cheyenne, Wyo. (flatbed), 4. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), and 5. Fort Wayne, Ind. (power only).
- The five worst markets for truckers and carriers will be: 1. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 2. Brooklyn, N.Y. (power only), 3. Rochester, N.Y. (flatbed), 4. Calgary, Alberta (dry van), and 5. Richmond, Va. (flatbed).
- The latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves indicates that national outbound tender rejections are up slightly, while national outbound volumes are down slightly.
- Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Cheyenne, Wyo., this week is projected to be three times higher than it was during the same week in 2020.
- Port volumes in South Carolina hit record-breaking levels in the month of November, driven largely by retail import volumes.
- Dodge City, Kan., whose reefer market is projected to be the highest demand market in North America in the coming week, is home to three high-volume meat processing plants.
Read the previous edition of our free freight forecast, Where’s the Freight? Dodge City, Gary, Fort Wayne, Tucson and Southwestern Ontario Top Markets for Truckers/Carriers in Coming Week.