Welcome to your mid-week edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free market report for truckers and carriers. “Where’s the Freight?” tells you where demand (and rates) are likely to be highest, lowest, increasing and decreasing over the next five to seven day period. With this information, you can maximize your profits by avoiding markets where demand will be low and prioritizing markets where demand will be high.
This week as we enter the post-holiday season, you can expect demand for truck capacity to remain high in many regions, including Dodge City, Kan. In fact, Dodge City, Kan., appears not once, but twice in today’s Top Five Hottest Markets list. If you pull reefer, you’ll want to be on the lookout for loads to/from Decatur, Ala., and Tucson, Ariz., as demand for reefer is projected to increase in both areas this week. In the coming week, you also can expect flatbed demand to/from Texarkana, Texas, to rise, while demand for power only capacity will increase this week for Charleston, S.C.
For more information on where demand and rates will be highest and lowest this week, scroll down to read the rest of this Wednesday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates to/from Montreal, Quebec, and Dodge City, Kan., are projected to be high this week. Flatbed demand to/from Texarkana, Texas, is expected to rise over the next five to seven day period.
- Reefer demand and rates are likely to be high in the coming week to/from Dodge City, Kan., Tucson, Ariz., and Edmonton, Alberta. Reefer demand is likely to increase this week for Dodge City, Kan., Decatur, Ala., and Tucson, Ariz.
- Power only demand and rates to/from Charleston, S.C., are projected to increase in the coming week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates are expected to be low this week for Brooklyn, N.Y., Ithaca, N.Y., and Edmonton, Alberta. Demand for flatbed capacity is likely to decrease this week for Billings, Mont., and Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Reefer demand and rates to/from Hartford, Conn., will remain very low over the next five to seven day period.
- Power only demand and rates to/from Salt Lake City will be extremely low in the coming week. Power only demand for Fort Wayne, Ind., is expected to decline this week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights
- The five most profitable markets in the coming week will be: 1. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 2. Montreal, Quebec (flatbed), 3. Dodge City, Kan. (flatbed), 4. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), and Edmonton, Alberta (reefer).
- This week, the five least profitable markets will be: 1. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 2. Brooklyn, N.Y. (flatbed), 3. Ithaca, N.Y. (flatbed), 4. Salt Lake City (power only), and 5. Edmonton, Alberta (flatbed).
- This week, demand for flatbed capacity to/from Montreal, Quebec, is projected to be 13 times higher than it was during the same week in 2021.
- This week, the Charleston, S.C., power only market will favor owner ops and carriers by three to one.
- According to the latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves, national outbound rejections are up, while national volumes are down slightly.
- After a blizzard brought 12 inches of snow to the Fredericksburg, Va., area on Monday, Interstate 95 northbound and southbound were completely shut down, leaving truckers and other drivers stranded on the highway. As of yesterday afternoon, traffic was moving again on I-95, though there are still delays in many areas.
For more market insights, read the previous edition of our free freight forecast, Where’s the Freight? Edmonton, Dodge City, Tucson, Southwestern Ontario and Cheyenne Top Markets for Owner Ops and Carriers This Week.