Happy Friday, y’all, and welcome to your end-of-week edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight forecast for fleets and owner operators. “Where’s the Freight?” uses the data from Trucker Tools’ platforms to predict where demand/rates for flatbed, reefer, power only and dry van capacity will be highest and lowest in the coming week.
Today’s forecast shows our Top Five Hottest Markets list even split between flatbed, reefer and power only markets. The Dodge City, Kan., reefer market claims the number one spot in today’s Top Five as the hottest freight market in the United States and Canada this week. Cargill Meat Solutions and National Beef, two of the largest beef processing companies in North America, are both headquartered in Dodge City, Kan. In power only news, another Kansas market is projected to see a substantial increase in power only demand in the coming week. If you pull flatbed, you’ll want to keep your eye on Texarkana, Texas, this week, as demand for flatbed capacity is projected to be high in the region.
Read on for more insights into the hottest and coldest markets across the United States and Canada in this Friday edition of Trucker Tools’ “Where’s the Freight?”
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be High or Rising
- Flatbed demand and rates for Texarkana, Texas, and Grand Junction, Colo., are projected to be high this week. Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Huntington, W.Va., and Southwestern Ontario is expected to increase over the next week.
- Reefer demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Dodge City, Kan., and Tucson, Ariz., will be high in the next five to seven days.
- Power only demand and rates to/from Billings, Mont., are projected to be relatively high over the coming week. Power only demand to/from Wichita, Kan., San Antonio and Green Bay, Wisc., is likely to increase this week.
Where Demand and Rates Are Likely To Be Low or Falling
- Flatbed demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Yakima, Wash., and Tucson, Ariz., are expected to be low this week. Demand for flatbed capacity to/from Winnipeg, Manitoba, is expected to decline over the next five to seven day period.
- Reefer demand and rates to/from Hartford, Conn., Vancouver, British Columbia, and Montgomery, Ala., will be extremely low this week.
- Power only demand to/from Philadelphia is projected to decrease in the next week.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- This week, the five most profitable markets for owner operators and carriers likely will be: 1. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), 2. Texarkana, Texas (flatbed), 3. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 4. Billings, Mont. (power only), and 5. Grand Junction, Colo. (flatbed).
- In the coming week, the five least profitable markets likely will be: 1. Hartford, Conn. (reefer), 2. Yakima, Wash. (flatbed), 3. Vancouver, British Columbia (reefer), 4. Tucson, Ariz. (flatbed), and 5. Montgomery, Ala. (reefer).
- This week, demand for flatbed capacity to/from Grand Junction, Colo., is projected to be twice as high as it was last year.
- The latest Daily Market Update from FreightWaves finds that both national outbound tender rejections and volumes are up.
- Later this week, demand for power only capacity inbound to and outbound from Wichita, Kan., is projected to increase and be 12 times higher than it was during the same week in 2021.
- The United States will be closing its borders to unvaccinated Canadian and Mexican truckers beginning this Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022.
Read the previous edition of Trucker Tools’ free market report, Where’s the Freight? Tucson, Wichita, Billings, Edmonton and Southwestern Ontario Best Markets for Owner Ops and Fleets This Week.