Happy Friday, trucking fam, and welcome to the TGIF edition of “Where’s the Freight?,” Trucker Tools’ free freight market report for trucking companies and owner operators.
Over the next five to seven day period, you can expect demand for flatbed capacity to diminish in several key markets, including Fargo, N.D., and Washington D.C. In the coming week, reefer demand will remain extremely strong inbound to and outbound from Tucson, Ariz. In fact, the Tucson, Ariz., reefer market claims the number one spot in today’s Top Five Hottest Markets list. If you run power only loads, keep an eye on the Cape Girardeau, Mo., market, as demand for capacity is projected to increase considerably over the next week. For those of you who run dry van loads, you’ll want to avoid loads to/from Albuquerque, N.M., this week, as demand and rates are expected to be extremely low.
Keep scrolling for more info on which markets will be the hottest and coldest across the United States and Canada this week!
Where Demand and Rates Will Be High or Rising This Week
- Flatbed demand and rates for Texarkana, Texas, are projected to rise.
- Reefer demand and rates for Tucson, Ariz., Texarkana, Texas, and Dodge City, Kan., will continue to be high.
- Power only demand and rates for Fort Wayne, Ind., and San Diego are likely to be high. Power only demand to/from Cape Girardeau, Mo., Knoxville, Tenn., Fort Worth, Texas, and Buffalo, N.Y., likely will increase.
Where Demand and Rates Will Be Low or Falling This Week
- Flatbed demand and rates for Fargo, N.D., Brooklyn, N.Y., Vancouver, British Columbia, and Washington D.C. are expected to be extremely low.
- Power only demand and rates inbound to and outbound from Los Angeles are projected to decline.
- Dry van demand and rates for Albuquerque, N.M., are likely to be low. Dry van demand to/from Gary, Ind., is expected to decrease.
Trucker Tools’ Market Insights and Industry News
- Top Five Hottest Markets this week: 1. Tucson, Ariz. (reefer), 2. Texarkana, Texas (reefer), 3. Fort Wayne, Ind. (power only), 4. Dodge City, Kan. (reefer), and 5. San Diego (power only).
- Bottom Five Coldest Markets this week: 1. Fargo, N.D. (flatbed), 2. Brooklyn, N.Y. (flatbed), 3. Vancouver, British Columbia (flatbed), 4. Washington D.C. (flatbed), and 5. Albuquerque, N.M. (dry van).
- Market To Watch: the Cape Girardeau, Mo., power only market, where demand is projected to rise this week, will favor carriers and owner operators by more than two to one.
- Over the next week, demand for reefer capacity to/from Tucson, Ariz., is projected to be twice as high as it was during the same week last year.
- In May, the Port of Los Angeles had its third busiest month on record, while the Port of Savannah recorded its highest monthly freight volumes ever.
- May saw national truckload freight volumes decline for the third straight month and the largest decline in flatbed spot rates since April 2020.
Read the previous edition of our free freight forecast, “Where’s the Freight? New Castle, Texarkana, Cape Girardeau, Dodge City and Tucson Top Freight Markets in Coming Week.”
To download the Trucker Tools app, visit https://www.truckertools.com/carriers/trucker-tools-app/. To start using Trucker Tools’ free carrier software platform, visit https://bookaload.truckertools.com/.